|The Hobo / Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroads Equipment Roster by George Kenson ( updated January 2013 )|
CLICK ON SMALL IMAGES TO ENLARGE
Alco S1 Switcher #958 Former Maine Central 958, Maine Coast 958, Built 1949, used at Calais, Maine and in Waterville, Maine. Alco six-cylinder, 12 inch-bore, 13 inch-stroke, 660 HP. Repainted in Imron 4/2005
Alco S1 Switcher #959 Former Maine Central 959, Built 1949, used in Maine throughout their system. Alco six-cylinder, and a 12 inch-bore, 13 inch stroke, Repainted in Imron 04/2006. Here is how they decorated it.
Alco S1 Switcher #1008 “Everett E. Howland, Jr.”
Alco S3 Switcher #1186 “Edward A. Clark” Former B&M 1186, Otter Valley RR 1186, Wolfeboro RR. Built 1949. Used around Boston and throughout the B&M system. For years it operated on the Wolfeboro RR when steam was not used. Alco six-cylinder, 12 inch-bore, 13 inch-stroke, 660 HP.
General Motors GP7 #302 Former New England Southern 302, Former Rock Island 438, Built August 1950. Used on the New England Southern railroad and previously on the Rock Island system. General Motors EMD 16 cylinder, 1,500 HP motor.
General Motors GP9 #1921 Former MBTA 1921, Burlington Northern 1921, -Great Northern 1921) Built in 1957. Painted in the famous Boston and Maine/Maine Central "Minute Man" scheme in tribute to the men and women who worked for the Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M). This was the same livery that the B&M locomotives that served the Lincoln New Hampshire paper mill wore. The unit was recently acquired by the Budd RDC Foundation of Milford, CT for historic preservation and will be returned to operating condition by the Hobo Railroad. The 1921 is perhaps New England's most photographed diesel locomotive of the past few decades. It was restored in the early 1990's by a dedicated group of railroad workers in the Boston  area. General Motors EMD16 cylinder, 1,750 HP motor.
PULLMAN CARSThese luxury cars were originally operated as part of the executive business car set for the President of Maine’s Bangor and Aroostook Railroad.
Pullman Palace Car 100 - This car is unfortunately not still at our railroad. It is being made Amtrak compatible at a shop outside of New Hampshire. It was built
by the Pullman
Pullman Piano Parlor Car 103, the second car, was built for Pullman service across the Canada during the post World War II era in 1954 and was used on the Canadian National Railways until the mid-1990’s It was purchased by the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad for use in their executive business train as a companion to Car 100. It has been named “Determination”. The cars were acquired by the Hobo Railroad in 2003 that completed the restoration begun by Iron Roads Railways, who had bought the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad. The 103 car is available for charters and used for the popular Foliage Train Excursions.
THE FLYING YANKEE
Boston and Maine/Maine Central #6000 The streamliner FLYING YANKEE provided service between Boston, Portland and Bangor (750 miles per day-six days per week). The unit was built by the Budd Company in 1934 and saw service in the Boston, New Hampshire and Maine corridor until 1957. The trainset was unique because of the type of custom car configuration the unit employed. The train was powered by a Winton 201 A Diesel Electric (the first type of longer distance train not powered by steam). The train was the first with fixed windows, providing air conditioning for the first time. The train had no diner, and food was prepared in a galley and served on trays to passengers which were affixed to the seat in front. The Yankee was delivered February 10, 1935 and on April 1, 1935 the Yankee was christened with a bottle of water from Sebago Lake in Maine and began service. The Yankee's service was discontinued on May 7, 1957. The trainset was donated by the B & M Railroad to the Edaville RR in Carver, Massachusetts. It sat there for almost 40 years until Bob Morrell purchased the train and brought it to New Hampshire. It was moved to the shops of the Hobo Railroad in 2005 to complete its restoration. The train set is now owned by the State of New Hampshire, and is being restored with donated funds.
New York Central # 2902-Cayuga Lake (ex Penn Central 2902, ex AMTRAK 5642, ex Maine Central 5642). Built by the Budd Company of Philadelphia in 1947 as a 56 seat passenger coach. Originally part of the New York Central’s “Great Steel Fleet”. It was sold by the Maine Central in 1977 to a private owner and is being restored as a luxury railcar.
White Mountain and Atlantic Dayliner #9060 (ex Canadian Pacific #9060, ex MBTA # 60)-Type RDC1, trailer car. Completed by the Budd Railcar Company (Builder’s #6322) in Philadelphia on August 22, 1953 for the CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILROAD as Dayliner 9060. The original 90 person coach saw service primarily between Ottawa and Toronto. Sold to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) in May 1983 and operated in transit service from both North and South Stations in Boston. Phased out of service in the late 1980’s, the unit was heavily damaged by fire while in storage. It was sold to a private individual in 1993 and purchased by the WHITE MOUNTAIN AND ATLANTIC RAILROAD in June 2003 and rebuilt as a private railcar by the HOBO RAILROAD.
Former Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western (DL&W) then Erie Lackawanna (E-L) Multiple Unit Passenger Commuter Cars (MU) -The 65 ton cars were built in the 1930’s by the Pullman Company and originally served on commuter service from Hoboken NJ to all areas of Northern New Jersey. The were formally retired in 1984.
#1004-Mountain View (ex DLW, E-L 2625) Converted to a table car with open vestibules by Hobo RR in the 80's. This can be usually seen in Lincoln, NH as the last car of the Hobo Railroad train equipped with original lights, Hancock Whistle, Bell. and used for back up moves. Also has deluxe interior with carpeted floor and designer lamps for each table.
The railroad operates a number of Budd Rail Diesel cars. These were originally self-propelled. They are built completely of stainless steel and weighed 118,000 pounds when operated in passenger service. The cars carry 80 to 90 passengers and were originally powered by two 275-horsepower General Motor’s diesels. The car had a top speed of 83 miles per hour. The units are equipped with SKF greased roller bearings, Budd Disc Brakes and Rolokron anti-slip devices on each truck. The car truck has a wheelbase of 8 feet 6 inches and has 33-inch diameter wheels. The car could travel around three miles on a gallon of diesel fuel and the original purchase price in the 1950’s was around $130,000 U.S. The Boston and Maine (B&M) units were demotorized in 1980 after being transferred to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA).
#6148-Fairview (ex B&M, MBTA 6148) Built 7-22-55, Type RDC-1. 6148 has a unique history of first being made from two damaged units including part of NH 35 in 1972 and re-engined with a Cummins engine in 1974, and then in the 80's it served as a prototype unit for the proposed rebuilding of the RDC fleet by Morrison Knudsen the rail car rebuilder. It's diesel motors and radiators were removed and it was fitted with 480 Volt HEP air conditioning, heat and lighting. Controls were eliminated at one end and it was used as a control car for many years in Boston Commuter Rail Service. In 1993 Hobo Railroad engineer G Kenson purchased the unit from J F White Construction Co and was one of the last two complete units to depart Boston Engine Terminal before its rebuilding by the J F White Co. The other unit was an ex Canadian Pacific #9060 also destined for the Hobo RR in Lincoln, NH. In 1999 it was re-sold to the Hobo Railroad by G Kenson. The fixed seats have been removed and made into a comfortable table car for use on the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln.
#6921-Winnisquam (ex B&M, MBTA 6921) Built 10-10-56, Type RDC-9. This model (RDC-9) was built exclusively for the B&M and has only one diesel engine and no operator controls. It was designed to be coupled with other RDC-1's. The interior is the classic high back seats used in all of B&M's RDC's. It is usually on the Winnipesaukee Scenic in the Lakes Region.
#9159-ICE CREAM CAR (ex Reading 9159, MBTA 9159) Built 12-62, RDC-1 One of the later built RDC's that was ordered by The Reading RR and sold to the MBTA in the 80's. Known as the Ice Cream & Food Service Car on the Winnipesauke Scenic RailroadSTORED EQUIPMENT
#6118, Boston and Maine, MBTA Built 4-27-55 ,Type RDC-1 The interior is the classic high back seats used in all of B&M's Budd Car fleet. Unit is in storage in Lincoln and has been sold by the railroad to a private owner
#6209, Boston and Maine, MBTA Built 2-25-55, Type RDC-2. Privately owned it suffered severe damage due to vandalism by releasing brakes and using a down hill grade in Lincoln before the derail stopped it.
# 9158, Reading, MBTA Built 12-62, Type RDC-1 A former Reading Railroad RDC1 operated by the MBTA in Boston until sold around 1990 to the railroad. It is owned by the railroad but out of service in storage
# 9161, Reading, MBTA Built 12-62, Type RDC-1 A former Reading Railroad RDC1 operated by the MBTA in Boston until sold around 1990 to the railroad. It is owned by the railroad but out of service in storage
AMTRAK Coach Dorm Set # 39906 and 39907 (ex Santa Fe). Built in 1956 for the Santa Fe’s “El Capitan” signature train, they were among the first high level cars built for rail service. The cars are equipped with 480 Volts and Head End Power capability. The units were retired by AMTRAK in the late 1990’s and sold to the HOBO RAILROAD. These two unique cars are now resold and scheduled for rehab sometime in the future.
Cabooses in Lincoln...All are privately owned
Rutland #51 Built for Canadian National Railroad, sold to a private party and painted in NYC Pacemaker scheme at Adirondack Scenic Railroad. Later sold to private individual and moved to the Hobo Railroad where it was restored as a Rutland RR caboose as a tribute and dedicated to his grandfather who worked as a conductor for the Rutland. The caboose is used by its present owner as a second home and it sits in place in the Hobo RR Yard with th exception of an annual move to Lakeport to be used as accomodations by its owner while he works for the Hobo RR during Laconia Motorcycle Week.
Boston and Maine C86 (ex B&M 486, ex B&M 186) Built in 1959 by Morrison International of Buffalo, New York. The caboose was built on the steel frame of what was originally a wood caboose. The car was sold to a private owner in 1995.
Boston and Maine 445 Built in 1944., this unit was one of twenty units authorized by the War Shipping Board (10 in1942 and 10 in 1944). B&M had almost all wooden cabooses and their trains, especially on the Hoosac run, were extra long due to the threat posed to coastal shipping by German subs.Because of the extra length of the trains some needed a pusher engine and only a steel caboose would take the force of a steam engine, behind the caboose, pushing the train up an incline. Sold by the railroad-1985.
Canadian Pacific 4584 (ex 434584) The wide-vision caboose was constructed at the Canadian Pacific's Angus Shops in Montreal in 1977. It was purchased in March of 2003 by a private individual from the Canadian Pacific Railways and made its final trip from Moose Jaw, Saskachewan, Canada, through Mechanicsville, NY, and arrived in Lincoln, NH, in July of 2003. The interior has been converted to a private home railcar and will be repainted in the fall of 2006 in similar colors to neighboring car 434617 at the Hobo Railroad. It is based permanently at the Hobo Railroad.
Canadian Pacific 4617 (ex 434617, ex 434636)The original 434617 was accidentally scraped by the Canadian Pacific Railway while it was owned by the Ontario Hydro Corp. CP replaced the caboose with 434636 which was manufactured in 1979 in the Canadian Pacific's Angus Shops in Montreal. The caboose was renumbered to 434617 and saw service with Ontario Hydro at the end of their coal trains. It was acquired by the Hobo Railroad in 1997 and conversion into a private unit was completed in the spring of 1998. The caboose saw service five days a week behind the Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train in Lincoln, NH, in its original CP colors, and in January of 1999, it was repainted to its current colors. It is based permanently at the Hobo Railroad.
CP Rail 434616 Built in 1979, the caboose was owned by Ontario Hydro Corp. and saw service on the Canadian Pacific Railroad. The unit was built in Montreal and was sold to a private owner and relocated to Lincoln in 1997. This unit remains active.