Rail Bike Adventures
Rail Bike Adventures - Exploring The Rails!
Laconia Railroad Station
15 Veterans Square, Laconia, NH 03246
Tel: (603) 348-1131
2022 OPERATING SCHEDULE:
Spring Schedule: Open Weekends Only (Tours depart Laconia Station at: 10am, 12pm, 2pm)
- May 7 & 8; 14 & 15; 21 & 22; 28, 29 & 30
- June 3, 4 & 5; 10, 11 & 12; 17, 18 & 19
Summer Schedule: Open Tuesday – Sunday (Tours depart Laconia Station at: 10am, 12pm & 2pm, *4pm*) *Saturday Only*
- June 24 through September 6
Fall Schedule: Open Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays (Tours depart Laconia Station at: TBA)
- September: 9, 10 & 11; 16, 17 & 18; 23, 24 & 25; 30
- October: 1 & 2; 7, 8, 9 &10; 14, 15 & 16; 21, 22 & 23 and 28, 29
What Rail Bike Adventures Is All About:
For the past 35 years, the Hobo & Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad has offered scenic train rides “along New Hampshire’s lakes and through the White Mountains”. However, we’re excited to welcome you to the newest 3-season attraction in New Hampshire’s Lakes Region – exploring the rails with Rail Bike Adventures!
Enjoy the beauty and history of New Hampshire’s beautiful Lakes Region as you and your family or friends pedal our state-of-the-art rail bikes along a rail line that dates back to 1848. Your 5-mile round-trip rail bike adventure will begin and end at the historic Laconia Railroad Station in Veterans Square which opened in 1892 and operated until in the late 1960’s.
Our route takes you past the site of the former Laconia Car Company which built rail cars from 1844 to 1928, then over a trestle bridge crossing the Winnipesaukee River and Durkee Brook before reaching the shore of Lake Winnisquam – New Hampshire’s 4th largest lake. The terrain you’ll cover is primarily flat and your excursion is both relaxing & enjoyable for most everyone.
Safety is paramount at Rail Bike Adventures, so all of our guided tours have trained guides at the front and rear of each group, as well as a flagger at all road crossings. Riders are spread out during the tours, usually with a couple hundred feet between each rail bike, which allows riders to enjoy the experience and the views at their own pace. The front and rear guides will assist where needed to help ensure everyone has an enjoyable experience.
Each of our custom-made rail bikes is equipped with comfortable seating, built-in hand-holds, water bottle holders for each rider, pedals for up to four (4) riders, hand brakes as well as a basket for personal items, snacks & cold drinks (alcohol is not permitted). A variety of snacks, cold beverages, train & rail bike apparel and a limited selection of gifts are also available in our historic Laconia Railroad Station Gift Shop.
Accommodations: If you’re looking for lodging in New Hampshire’s Lakes Region while you’re here for your Rail Bike Adventure, be sure to visit the Lakes Region Tourism Association for all your lodging needs.
TERMS & CONDITIONS / SAFETY:
- Please plan to arrive 20-30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. Those arriving late for a scheduled ride will not be eligible for a refund.
- Know your limits. If you suspect that riding with Rail Bike Adventures could put your health at risk for any reason, or could aggravate a pre-existing medical condition of any kind, please let our staff know. It is your responsibility to advise us of any medical condition or physical disability which requires any special treatment or attention for any members of your group.
- Parents / guardians are responsible for their minors and must ensure that they follow the instructions of the Rail Bike Adventures staff.
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an older rider – infants and toddlers are not permitted on rail bikes and car seats are not allowed to be used.
- Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to operate the brakes on the rail bikes.
- Minimum height for all rail bike riders is 48 inches (4 feet).
- Maximum allowable weight per person is 250 pounds.
- Closed-toed shoes must be worn at all times while on the rail bikes. (bare feet, sandals & flip-flops are not permitted)
- Pets are not permitted on Rail Bikes and can not be left at Rail Bike Adventures.
- Comfortable/loose fitting clothing is highly recommended.
- Don’t forget to bring a camera, water, snacks, sunscreen, inspect repellent and appropriate outerwear based on the weather forecast (hats, windbreakers, rain gear, etc.). Alcohol is not permitted.
- Please make sure your belongings are safely secured. If you drop something on the track, do not stop or get off the Rail Bike – the item will be recovered for you by Rail Bike Adventures staff.
- Do not get off the rail bike at any time during the guided tour, and keep your feet on the pedals at all times.
- Always keep your safety belt fastened while on the rail bike.
- Rail Bike riders must follow the instructions of Rail Bike Adventures staff at all times.
- Rail Bike Adventures is a smoke-free environment. Smoking/vaping is not permitted at any time on the guided tours or on Rail Bike Adventures property.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet between yourself and the rail bike in front of you. It is your responsibility to maintain a safe distance from the rail bike ahead. Do not tailgate!
- During our Rail Bike tours, guests must conduct themselves in a way that is respectful of the privacy and security of adjacent homeowners and other rail bike riders.
- Every Rail Bike Adventures guest accepts a legal and moral obligation to act responsibly on the tour as listed in the above Rail Bike Adventures Terms & Conditions.
- On the days we’re open, Rail Bike Adventures will open at 9:00am and we’ll close shortly after the last tour of the day returns.
- The cost of our 5-mile round-trip rail bike tours are $151.00 per Rail Bike. (this price includes from 1 to 4 riders per rail bike – there is no pricing discount if there are less than 4 riders)
- When planning your trip, please plan to arrive 20-30 minutes before your departure time.
- Advance reservations are required. You can make your reservations using the “Buy Tickets” button at the bottom of this page.
- Please note that shortly after you make your reservation online, you will receive an automated E-mail from us confirming your purchase. You can either print this confirmation at home, or show the E-mail to our staff at Rail Bike Adventures using your cell phone or tablet when you check in – this will serve as your ticket.
- Our 5-mile round-trip Rail Bike Tours take approximately one hour and twenty minutes to one hour and fifty minutes to complete, depending on the group.
- The distance of our Rail Bike Tours is approximately 5 miles round-trip (2.5 miles each way).
- Rail bike tours run rain or shine – as long as we feel it’s not a dangerous situation. Please check the weather before leaving and dress appropriately. If you have questions regarding the weather, or you would like to re-schedule your ride, please call Rail Bike Adventures at (603) 348-1131.
- All sales are final.
Rail Bike Adventures
Laconia Railroad Station
15 Veterans Square
Laconia, NH 03246
Laconia Railroad Station: